A Fourth of July Prayer
- We lift up our hearts, O God, on this day of celebration
- in gratitude for the gift of being Americans.
- We rejoice with all those who share
- in the great dream of freedom and dignity for all.
- With flags and feasting, with family and friends,
- we salute those who have sacrificed that we might have the opportunity to bring to fulfillment our many God-given gifts.
- As we deny all prejudice a place in our hearts,
- may we also clearly declare our intention to work for the time when all people, regardless of race, religion or sex, will be granted equal dignity and worth.
- Come, O gracious God,
- who led your children Israel from slavery, keep us free from all that might hold us in bondage.
- Bless our country and join our simple celebration
- that we may praise you, our Source of freedom, the One in whom we place our trust.
A Pligrim's Almanac:
Reflections for Each Day of the Year, p. 111
Top of Page