- Earn Trust – be honest; don't exaggerate, distort or deceive.
- Really Listen – you can't change another's opinion until you truly understand it.
- Be Open – if you want to change another's mind, show yours is open; be willing to make the first concession.
- Show Respect for the Opinion You Want to Change and the Person Who Owns it – insults and sarcasm only fuel resentment and fortify resistance.
- Discuss, Don't Debate – success is agreement, not surrender.
- Don't Be Self-Righteous – the depth of your convictions shows your sincerity, but to the other person, your truths are just opinions.
- Be Satisfied with the Best Possible Result – even if it's not all you wanted.