char-ac-ter (kar'ik tuhr) n.,
[1275-1325; ME caractere < MF < L character
< Gk charaktér graving tool, its mark = charak-,
base of charáttein to engrave + -ter agent suffix]
- The aggregate of features and traits that form the individual nature of a person or thing;
- moral or ethical quality;
- qualities of honesty, fortitude, etc.; integrity;
- reputation: a stain on one's character;
- an account of a person's qualities, abilities, etc.; reference.
- Each individual should be judged by his own character: qualities, traits, attributes, nature, self, being, makeup, individuality, distinctiveness.
- A person who cheats has little character: integrity, honesty, honor, courage, strength, fortitude, backbone, respectability, rectitude, uprightness, morality, goodness, truthfulness, frankness, sincerity, conscientiousness.
- dishonor, dishonesty, moral weakness.
Random House College Dictionary and Random House Thesaurus
and Rodale's The Synonym Finder
Top of Page